Kids these days have become super-fast and need the same speed to get their work done. Technology has taken most of our work and reduced it to smart speeds and kids are more used to it. Schools and colleges these days need their students to use laptops for their assignments and homework. This has two benefits for the younger lot. One being that they get used to the continuous usage of the laptops and second being that the work gets faster and efficiently. However, choosing the best laptop for kids is one of the most difficult things to do as parents. This is because they need to understand the need for the kids and at the same time look at the specifications for all round use along with the prices to be reasonable for them. There are many conditions that need to be passed before you buy a laptop. Let us look at a few of them so that you can decide better.
Recommendations from the teacher or institution
Many schools and colleges provide the base requirements to the parents which will be needed by the educator. This can be taken into consideration and used to buy the kid-friendly laptops. You can also buy a more robust one to bring better usage among the children. However, it should be a consistent recommendation as this could bring inequality among kids. They can even tie up with many laptop manufacturers so that similar laptops can be purchased and that too at reasonable rates. Making the kids understand the importance of being equal will help them in the future and make a better society to live in.
Age and handling capacity
The age of kids should be the base criteria so that a more advanced laptop is not handed over to them which can make or break their future. An advanced version at a young age could be wrong exposure to them which can harm their knowledge. Many times providing a small-sized laptop to older kids will pose a problem as they will not be able to do what is expected out of them. A smaller screen size may ruin their eyesight as well. Similarly, a young child if given a large screen laptop may not be able to handle it due to its size and will tend to damage it in due course of time. You can also check which size of the laptop is expected from the institution’s standpoint to ensure that you are doing justice to the child and may not make them embarrassed in front of other kids.
Guide your child on the usage
You as parents should be the mentors of your children at every step and ensure that they do not falter or get influenced by certain things. Since the entire world is available on a laptop with the help of the internet of course; it is necessary to understand what your kid expects to do with it. If you find that your child is clueless about the usage; you need to make them understand what benefits laptops will have on their daily lives. Also if they know more about it; then the limitations should be set so that undue advantage is not taken-off the technology handed over to them. It is our duty to make them smart and responsible citizens of the future.
The price of the laptop is of utmost importance as this will decide which laptop is expected to be bought for your kid. The best computers for kids can be easily available at an affordable rate and that too with the best configurations available.
The durability test for a laptop is the most important for parents as this will determine whether they have expenses lined up every year or not. So if the laptop is durable then it is better for both the kid and the parents. Kids do not ponder much about the usage and treat their books, toys and other belongings very casually. This can affect the laptop and may lead to breaking it. Stuffing your laptop into backpacks along with books and other school stuff may not be good for the delicate laptops. If the laptops need to be carried daily; it should be light in weight but strong in its usage so that it last longer. Manufacturers do not make cheaper laptops much durable as they cannot fit into the budget well. However, there are school defined laptops manufactured by them which are sturdy and strong for daily school usage.
There are many options available in the market when it comes to laptops for kids. These options make sure that the size, memory, durability, screen size, weight and many such things are catered to with utmost precision. These points help the parents and kids to choose the best laptop for them. Let us look at some of the best notebooks for kids that are available in the market.
Dell is a manufacturer which has taken over the market in no time and have the best kid laptops in its bandwagon. One such laptop is the Dell Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1 which have the best features and can adhere to the needs of the school and college kids. They have the below pros and cons of the product.
- It has 6-inch WXGA screen size which is LED lit.
- The operating system provided is Windows 10.
- Powered with an Intel Pentium Processor which is better known as N3540 2.16 GHz.
- The RAM is 4GB DDR3L and has an integrated HD graphics card powered by Intel.
- The storage will never be a concern as it is dawned to be 500 GB.
- The battery is a lithium metal.
- It weighs around 3.07 pounds which can be a little heavy for the younger kids.
- It is 7.9 inches long which may be long for younger children and small for older ones.
- The battery may take some time to charge which can be a concern for longer use.
The android is very popular these days and it has now been integrated into the laptops as well. Samsung as a manufacturer has come into the picture with the Chromebook which is more inclined towards the Google’s features. Since the kids are more adaptable to the smart phones they can connect well with this laptop and make it popular in its genre. Let us look at the pros and cons.
- The laptop has a great feature to rotate a full 360 degrees.
- It can be converted into a tablet for better surfing and easy handling
- Comes with a pen which is a surprise and a boon for the kids who are slow in typing and can take notes and make changes using this great feature.
- You can sync your smartphone and use all the apps that are available on it. This makes it a one -stop solution for all your needs.
- Being a Google product it is not necessary to be online always. You can do your work offline with the many docs and apps to be used while not being on the internet.
- It is easy to carry along and the smooth metal design makes it a great attraction for all.
- The RAM is 4 GB DDR3 which is the latest in the lot.
- Light in weight with 2.4 pounds only
- The screen size is 12.3 inches which are a little big as compared to other laptops.
- 2 GHz processor may be slow as compared to the Intel processors in its rival laptops.
- It has a flash memory of 32 GB which can be less for regular users.
Another one in the Chromebook list is Acer R11 Convertible. This is again a great buy as kid laptops. Available at a great price and with good quality. Let us review the laptop for everyone’s benefit.
- This one comes with an Intel Celeron processor of N3150 with 1.6 GHz
- The RAM is at 2GB DDRL3 which is apt for kids.
- Screen size is 11.6 inches and with an HD feature
- The laptop has a touchscreen to make it easy for use.
- Battery lasts up to 10 hours flat which can be a long one for regular use.
- It weighs about 2.8 pounds making it easy to carry around.
- It also has an inbuilt HD graphics card.
- It can be converted into a tablet with a 360-degree feature and can be easy for kids to carry while on the go.
- Flash drive which can be a concern for people who deal with more storage data.
- It has just one USB port 2.0 which can lead to issues for more accessories to be plugged in.
This is a new addition to the list of kid laptops. However, Lenovo has been one of the market leaders in the laptops and computers. The Lenovo Idea Pad 100S has many key features which make it a great buy among the genre we are discussing. So let us take a closer look at what it has to offer.
- The USP of the product is the wide screen which is 11.6 inches.
- It comes with an Intel Atom Processor 1.33 GHz.
- It has a 2GB DDR3 RAM which is good to support regular school and college work
- Comes with a Windows 10 operating system.
- The weight is 2.2 pounds only making it very light to be carried around.
- Added with it is the HD graphics card for better gaming experience.
- It does not have a touch screen which is the need of the hour for kids.
- The Storage is just 32 GB which is very less as compared to the other options in the market.
In the bandwagon of laptops when all the manufacturers have shown their products, how can HP be behind? It is one of the longest leaders in the computers and laptops brand and is also associated with many institutions for kid laptop usage.
- This laptop is convertible into a tablet and can be made stand upright intent form as well.
- Touchscreen feature makes it the best available laptop.
- The Intel Pentium processor N3520 along with HD graphics card is an ultimate combination.
- The screen size of 11.6 inches which is apt for multi-touch features and touchscreen as well.
- 500 GB Storage space is just perfect and can help you store as much data needed.
- 4GB RAM with 1600 MHz DDRL3
- Battery life is of 5 hours which can last for half a day.
- It does not have an optical drive which is a big drawback for school kids.
- It weighs around 3.1 pounds which is a little heavy for kids for regular use.
Samsung has come up with a new notebook which has better features for kids and can be used for school and college assignments with ease. Let us look at some of the highlights of this notebook.
- It has a Windows 10 Operating system.
- Intel Core i5 Processor is the latest in the lot and is the 6th
- The display is large for better viewing with 13.3 inches.
- RAM is 8GB which is by far the highest in any laptop category.
- Storage is just abundant with 1 TB hard disk drive.
- It has Bluetooth which can be handy for many uses
- Touchscreen feature makes it the next gen product.
- The keyboard is also backlit for better viewing and usage in dark room areas.
- It even has an HDMI output for a great
- No CD/DVD drive to watch or use.
- Weighs about 3.9 pounds which are way high for school kids to carry and move around.
- The size of the laptop is also big enough for kids to move smoothly.
Dell being the leader in laptops has one more to show you for your kid usage. This one is a convertible screen laptop which is now the latest thing in the technology world.
- Windows 8.1 operating system.
- It has an 8GB DDR3 RAM which helps in fast data processing.
- Intel Core i7 is a new addition to the latest technology with 2.4 GHz processor.
- 500 GB Hard Disk Drive will make sure you are never out of storage space.
- The screen size is 13.3 inches which are great in its genre.
- The keyboard is backlight for better viewing and usage at dark room areas.
- The screen is very big for users who wish to keep it small.
- It does not come in with an optical drive which is a necessary feature.
There are humungous options for kid laptops in the market which can be used on a regular basis and that too without worrying about its durability and price. However, it completely depends on your requirements and budget to choose the best one available. Also, you should make sure that you check on the requirements from the educator and the kids so that there is no surprise package waiting for your post you buy a laptop for your young one. From the above 7 best laptops for kids, you can choose any one that fits into your criteria. Personally, my favorite would be number 7 – the Dell Inspiron 7000 13-Inch for its durability and best features at an affordable price.